- Muffin tin or empty egg carton
- Colored craft pom poms and matching colored paper
- Kid-friendly tweezers or tongs
- Kid-friendly scissors
Recipe for Fun!
Cut a circle from each color paper and place each in the bottom of a muffin well. Then give your child tweezers and a handful of craft pom poms that match the colors in the muffin tin. Use the tweezers to pick up the pom poms one by one and place them in the corresponding color well.
- Develop fine motor strength and control needed for daily living.
- Learning color/object identification and matching helps kids develop vocabulary and recognize characteristics that help them understand and describe their world.
- Developing sorting skills helps children gain control and create order in their world. It helps them differentiate between things that are alike and different.
- Following multi-step directions hones kids working memory. This skill is necessary to complete daily activities, like getting dressed or brushing teeth. It helps kids attend to detail, process the task and execute in sequential order.
- Use fingers instead of the tweezers to pick up and place each piece.
- Use larger or smaller pom poms to accommodate individual needs.
- Increase or decrease the number of pom poms.
- Place a number on the paper in each muffin well. Have the child place the corresponding quantity of objects in each well.