- An empty cardboard egg carton
- Tempera paints
- Pipe Cleaners
- Googly Eyes (for modifications; optional)
- Colored construction paper
- Magic markers
- Safety scissors
Recipe for Fun!
This fun art project can be made by kids of any age. Let your children choose their own colors and imaginative designs to create their spring “friends”!
STEP 1: Have an adult cut each egg carton in half lengthwise, then cut one of the halves in half again, lengthwise.
STEP 2: Depending upon the age of the child, have them cut wings from construction paper.
STEP 3: Now each child can take one of the carton halves, turn it upside down and paint it with Tempera paint.
STEP 4: Attach pipe cleaners to the head for feelers.
STEP 5: Next, decorate the butterfly’s wings with paint or markers and have an adult staple them to the side of the carton.
In addition to butterflies, let your children’s imaginations take flight as they make variations:
- Use one cup of the egg carton to make a small turtle or a ladybug.
- Use three cups to make a bumblebee.
- Use an empty half carton to make a caterpillar.
- Or use half of an empty carton from two dozen eggs and make an extra-long caterpillar!
Benefits of Play: Creative, Cognitive, Emotional